Around that time ( part 2 )


part 2 ::

(quote)"you ought to" means "I want you to,"so why not say. The loud horn of Somu's bike went on and I closed the book and walked out. It looked clear, she was upset even today.What could be keeping her upset consecutively? Only she could say but she choose not to speak, not just to everyone but even with me.The classes went on, she would just disappear during the breaks and drop me back home after the classes.This went on for about a week. By now everyone knew there was something wrong with her.But somu didn't tell anyone.We would come together to college sit in the class and go back home together again without exchanging a single word throughout. Somu hadn't spoken the whole week. I had almost forgotten how she sounded like.I would try to make conversations but looking at her dull face I would think, I need to give her space. Once she feels better she'll defiently tell me about it. After all she shared everything with me till date.

My behaviour had changed too involuntarily, I had started remaining silent at home.Mom had started to ask what was wrong with me.I would say I have loads to study and hide behind books for hours and get seen only during dinners.but what was happening was very confusing, as I didn't know what was happening.I had to ask Somu to tell me.It had strated to seem she would never tell until she's presurized to say. We went to the class that day and as usual in the break Somu disappeared, everyone came to me and shaina said "today we got to ask Somu what's wrong with her.If all of us ask together she'll have to say." So we decided we would do the do it after the classes.Being thursday, the classes were over by 3 p.m. and we withheld Somu in the class with us and latched the door after everyone else left. 

All eighteen girls surrounded Somu.And everyone started to talk at once.Somu panicked and closed her ears, she was trying to say something but wasn't being heard.I went and moved everyone saying "let her breath, your suffocating her." " Are you even concerned about me?" that was Somu's voice.It had been 13 days 18 hours and god knows how many minutes, I was denied hearing this voice. Everyone were standing on either side of her. Her eyes were only fixed on me. "Do you even care about me?" Somu asked looking at me. I just turned around, my hands moved upto my chest and remained there and not a word came out of my very mouth. I just stood there. I was even more confused. Had I caused the pain, was Somu suffering because of me.But what did i do? or what did I say to make her feel so? And everyone there stood at their place, not one spoke. After about 3 minutes, I answered " I care about you Somu." "No, No, You don't" said Somu firmly. I could feel the anger in her voice and she seemed certain about what she was saying.I wasn't prepared for this. This was extreme humiliation. I didn't know how I was gonna handle this."If you cared for me, you wouldn't have betrayed me Vani." somu said on the top of her voice.

 Rena came forward, "Somu don't shout, what do you mean by Vani betrayed you. what did she do?" Somu replied "she's betrayed me, I thought she was my best friend but she just did things behind my back. No one has ever hurt me, the way she has." I went forward, kneeled down and held Somu's hand and asked "Somu I could never think of hurting you, please tell me where did I go wrong?" Somu stranded her hands from mine."Don't you know?"I looked straight into her eyes and asked "What Somu?"She gave one of those wicked smiles and said" How can you lie to me in the eye? You are so good at it.""But I don't know, so please tell me." I said, I had almost lost all the patience I had But I didn't want to fight with my best friend in front of all the girls."Ok, If you want to know then be it ... .... Karthik, you stole Karthik from me. you knew how much I loved him and what he meant to me. Yet you played your dirty tricks."Somu said as she wiped her tears in both the hands."No Somu, I have nothing to do with Karthik" I had not even completed my sentence, Somu said "No please dont lie again, I would have believed you, but Karthik told this himself. So you can't fool me anymore."She got up, took her bag and walked away just like the other day. As she walked I could see pieces of our friendship scattered all over the room. I sat down on the dias, trying to control my tears. I knew nothing about it. But who would believe me? I looked at everyone, everyone looked at me as though i was a sinner.

I just sat there as everyone walked out. Renu came upto to me after everyone left and said "Come let's go."I didn't look at her, I just held my bag and we left the class room.I had tears in my eyes and as I walked out of the college, they rolled down on my cheek. We walked together, but I felt so lonely.
Posted by Picasa

0 comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Blog Archive

Followers