Around that time ( part 5 )



Another week of college went by. It was no less than torture but I was getting used to it.Now in 3 days we had our first Internals. It was important firstly, as the syllabus would be less and also if you score well then you only have to do well in one more internals. Aggregate is taken from best two of the three internals. Studying was first in the agenda. Six subjects and three days of preparations was good enough as the internals were only for 25 marks. The next three days went by and so did the three days after that. Two internals per day had left us with any time to catch up with anything else. I Studied all the while with Renu without having a  clue with whom was Somu studying. I would see her only in the class writing the internals. I did come across Karthik a few times on the stairs and canteen but avoided talking to him. I always felt that he was holding himself from doing the talk and was waiting for me to come out on it. 



It was now 15 days since the Day, though it seemed to be much much more. I attended the classes asusual and left for home on my scooty. I was just two kms away to home when I saw Karthik on the road. I looked at him and went past him. He got on his bike and followed me. I met him at the next signal. "hi vani." he said. " oh.... Hi " I said as if I hadn't noticed him. " I was hoping we could talk" he said. well I had been waiting to talk too definetly not on the road as we were standing in the signal! so I said. " Why don't you come home we can sit and talk comfortably." "you know we won't be able to talk comfortably if we are at your place." By then the green signal went on and I crossed the signal and parked the vehicle onto the road side." Ok then, Coffee day would be fine?" I asked. he nodded is head. "Then follow me. " I said as I accelarated. 


We sat in the coffee day. It was 5 pm and there were no people to drink coffee that day. We sat there. I kept looking through the menu. He was looking at me.  Silence prevailed for ten minutes. "There was a time when we couldn't stop talking and now we have no words to talk." he said "I don't want to beat around the bush, I was silent hoping you'll tell me what happened between you and Somu on the other day? " I looked into his face. he looked into mine. He was serious, I had never seen him like that before. he said "Before I tell you something, I want you to know I care for you. I admire the friendship you share with Somu." I was out of control and in no mood to listen to anything other than what had happened, " Now I know so please tell me what happened. " I said being sarcastic . " I will. " He said But please let's order  first and he called for the order. "I'll have a Coffee latte." I said. And he ordered for Irish Coffee. 


Seeing I was desperate to know he began "This happened on sunday when you missed out coming for Kamesh's treat.". I was listening with all ears. "Somu was there with rinki. We went to the Pizza hut, we were having a good time when snap's spotted a cute couple and we started talking about dating. I was thrown with a random question by Somu asking me what kind of girl I would like to date. I casually said I would like to date someone like Vani. She went onto ask, then do you plan on asking her out.  And I said yes very soon I will. This was the conversation that led to all the drama." As soon as he was done I blurted. "she likes you." I said "Can't you see it? She felt offended that you took my name instead of her's. she loves you like crazy and I doubt you'll find anyone else to match her. Why don't you talk to her?" I suggested reacting quick to what he said. "Are you out of your mind? Why should I talk to her and what should I talk her about? Tell me. " Karthik sounded angry. I kept quite. I had no answer. I didn't utter a word. I just wanted everything to be like before Me, Somu, Karthik - All just friends. Wonder why does love have to intervene? Somu loves Karthik and Karthik very smartly told me he likes me. What Am I to do?


 Now again I stand in the centre to be hit by everyone, I thought. Why do i have to be the target?  By then, the coffee was served. As we sipped coffee, Karthik said " Don't worry everything will be fine. With time Somu will understand I never liked her to be my girlfriend. She's a smart and pretty girl, she'll find someone who shall love her the most." I was now raging" But till then, what's she going to do? cry all nights and days for you... and have no friends... and no life. All because she loved you." I said it to myself. Wish I could say it out loud to Karthik. But I kept quite. I quickly finished the coffee and said " I'm getting late to go home." "But I want to talk many more things to you. " Karthik said. "We shall Karthik but I have to go now. Hope you understand."I said. Leaving him with no choice. He paid the bill and we left on our bikesafter saying bye. My thoughts would'nt stop. Karthik likes me out of everyone else in this world, forget the world out of everyone else in college. such pretty girls out there, was no one else good enough for him? why did he have to spoil my relation with Somu? Karthik is in 7th sem, and the topper in his batch too. He has his own gang of friends, all of them cool and nice. He's the lecturer's favourite. He's been placed in Infosys. He's sweet. He's caring.He's a catch no girl would want to miss. My thoughts were killing me.I remembered the lines I had read (quote) I don't feel " I want. " I feel " I lack." I decide " I want.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it needs alot of time to read your article make it short & sweet.Keep it up :)

Unknown said...

Hey thnks for ur comments..

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Blog Archive

Followers