Around that time ( part 6 )





I reached home and was watching tv when I recieved a call from Renu. Probably Karthik had told her we had met. But why did he have to tell her? Was he trying to get me influenced? Whatever I couldn't avoid talking to Renu. she is sweet caring friend of mine. We spoke for about 15 minutes, most part of it being regarding the internals we had just finished. I ended the call by saying" I spoke to Karthik will tell you more when we meet" and hung up. Renu was understanding, sometimes I felt she was more matured than Somu. But I can't blame Somu too she had her reasons, limitaions and circumstances to be the way she was. The evening just passed by. I was in my room after dinner reading newspaper when mom came in with apple. Apple was only a reason, she wanted to talk to me. I could figure that out. She sat down and casually asked me " How's everything going on?" " hmmm... everything's just fine mom. " I replied. "So what's with you and Somu?" she asked me as she handed over the piece of apple. "We are just having a bad time, a few differences and misunderstandings. You know na ma. We should be fine in few days to come." I said. Though I wasn't sure what was to happen in the coming days. Mom handed another piece of apple and said " Try to sort things soon with Somu. mom has never intruded with me and my friends and has helped me grow into the free individual that I am. She left to finish up cleaning the kitchen. I slept late that night, I was lying on the bed and reading. The last words I read were - "Don't fight a fact, deal with it. Don't discard yourself, be more of it. 


The next day in the lab Renu was very excited to know more about Karthik and me and our meeting. She was the only one with whom I could share. Hence I told her.I told her every word of it. " when are you meeting him again?" Renu asked. " I guess, it's best to avoid him Renu. The problem is he likes me and my best friend likes him. Doesn't it sound like karan johar's film story?" I asked. When I got no reaction from her, I continued. " It's tough to accept when such things happen in life. I have given a lot of thought on it. " I said. "Have you gone mad? " said Renu as she kept her book aside and came closer to me. "Karthik is a nice guy. He is serious about you. " By then Sir came to the lab and we couldn't talk more. At that very point something struck my mind and I knew if this could work everything would become normal. I choose to keep it from everyone including Renu. I would wait for the time to be right. I attended classes normally. Avoided Karthik and his talks with Renu. Karthik probably waited for me to get back to him. I was being a good and hardworking student - doing all my assignments on my own, completing lab records and observations. I spent most of the time in library now, either reading or thinking on how I could execute my plan.


It had been three weeks and I wasn't any close. Then I had my luck, when shaina came to me to borrow my LD notes. I knew she could help me out. Somu was getting close to her. I struck a deal with shaina and she readily accepted to help me out . Now I messaged Karthik. " Hi, How r u doing? I wanted to meet you, tmrw at 10 am on the college terrace. hoping to cya thr." I immediately got a call from Karthik. I went out of the library into the corridor to take his call. " hi Karthik " I said. " Hi vani, I got a message from you, I just wanted to confirm it. So I called hope I didn't disturb you. " he said. " Oh no, Thank you so much for calling. So See Ya on the terrace tomorrow." I said expecting him to hang up. But he wanted to talk more. "What do you want to talk to me about?" He asked. "That you'll get to know only tomorrow, please be there right on time. Bye " I said and hung up. I was close to setting things right or I could screw it more. But I wanted to take a chance rather than doing nothing about it. . The next day, I came early to college. Went up on the terrace, made sure I had locked the other entrance to the terrace. I waited but time just wouldn't pass. I sat there thinking what I would talk to Somu when she would be there and how she would forget the past and we would get back to being good friends again. 


Shaina came with Somu right at 9:45 am as she had promised. As they entered the terrace Somu saw me. She went furious on seeing me.Looking at Shaina she said "You shouldn't have done this." I went a head, standing right in front of  Somu I said " If I ever meant a friend to you, then please stay and listen to me. " I said. She turned towards the door. "Won't you give me one chance to explain. Was I that bad with you. For good times sake stay back."I pleaded. What worked the magic I don't know but Somu turned back and said "Ok tell me what you have to say. Make it quick I don't have too much time for you." " I Haven't betrayed your trust. I have nothing to do with Karthik. I don't know why he said he would want to date me or why he would ask me out soon." I stopped there to see Somu's reaction. She was getting more furious for sure. She said "So you know everything, but you're forgetting something here." What's that?" I asked. By then Karthik got on the terrace with a red rose in hand. " Oh my god ! I don't want to stay here and have more humiliation. " Said Somu. Karthik looked at all the three of us. " Hi girls, Hi Vani." He said. "I'm leaving. Let's go shaina." said Somu. " "Somu please don't go, we can talk it out. Please stay back." I had tears but I didn't let them roll down my cheeks making it evident that i was crying. Somu looked at Karthik went towards him and said " Probably you didn't tell her everything you said at Pizza hut. didn't you? " She had a wicked smile on her face. She left with Shaina.


 With Somu leaving me I was broken But what had Karthik said. Hadn't he told me everything that happened at Pizza hut? Did he hide something from me? I asked Karthik "What's Somu talking about?" Karthik who was always confident, I saw him nervous now. He wasn't looking at me. He brought the rose in his hand forward and said " I got this for you. Please take it." I took it. I don't know what was I thinking but I held the rose in my hand. Then he continued. "  I went over board,I'm sorry. I was excited for the first time I was talking about you and me. Hence I had lost control on what I was saying, I said - That we were waiting for the right time to make our relation public. I'm sorry. I know we never spoke anything about it. But we have always had a good time. I was only trying to pose in front of my friends. I had no other intentions trust me please." He held my hand, I had gone cold and his hands felt warm. I was not prepared to listen to what I just did. I wished someone would wake me from this night mare.I had lost the last hope I had. I took back my hand. I said no word nor did I see his face.I just walked down from the terrace dropping the rose from my hand as Karthik stood there.The whole world had gone silent.

0 comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Blog Archive

Followers