My Vote Story

With sleepy eyes and confused mind i managed to drop myself at the polling booth  sharp at 7 am. I was welcomed with a  surprise, people had queued up to vote!!! There were 5 separate rooms in which voting process had just begun and people were waiting for their turn. The arrangements were systematic and the security up tight. It didn't take any time to find in which of the rooms i had to vote (they had divided it based on the main's) I stood in my respective queue with only 4 people before me ( goes out to show that all people in my road are hardcore lazy in comparison to other main's where the queue had begun to seem never ending). As I stood there I realised I didn't know who the prospective candidates are... All I could remember were Krishna Byre Gowda from Indian National Congress (thanks to his sms campaigning and the Sunday afternoon disturbing speech by S.M.Krishna who campaigned for KBG at a near by ground with louder loud speakers) and Ananth Kumar from the Bharatiya Janatha Party. I was there without doing any homework before i could vote.. I was feeling ashamed...... this was the second time i was voting ( the first being last year's state legislative elections) and i didn't understand the responsibility in true sense. I went through the list of candidates that was put up for dud heads like me, with another surprise that awaited me.. the list consisted of 20 candidates!!! ( on the previous day talking to one of my friend i had displayed my negligence, by telling i didn't know who the candidates were and argued i would definitely know them well before i vote.. for which he had responded asking me to vote with the help of inki pinki ponki... the whole conversation flashed before my eyes.. his words hadn't appealed to me at all.. i had argued of not being irresponsible cos i was going to vote... but now i realised.. it's not about voting.. it's about knowing whom you are electing to be your representative..and if you are making the right choice.) I went through all the 20 names.. There were 2 women contestants from the constituency and 12 independent candidates !!! Few never heard party names were there too adding to my existing confusion. (did you know there's a party called Pyramid Party of India !!!!)and my eye balls widened when i read the famous Mr.Vatal Nagraj was also contesting from Bangalore South... By now it was my turn to vote.. i preferred sending my mom first that would give me an extra 1 minute to think about the prospective candidate i would like to vote.. i didn't even know all the candidates names right and here i was decided upon voting for one of them.. i was not sure on what basis i was casting my vote.. Nevertheless i voted on 23rd April 2009.... My careless vote now lies safe in the ballet box until the counting begins in may 2nd week.

3 comments:

Shekhar said...

Nice voting story point is that we are waking up to the fact that our vote counts that in itself is a reason to be cheerful...love that dot at your finger.

DOT is HOT...take care...

quirkygirl said...

Hi!
Nice post! Stumbled upon your blog at the blogger community! Must say that you have a valid point! Most of us, including me, end up voting for the party and don't bother about a candidate's previous work. But at least, we cast our votes :)

Unknown said...

hi quirky girl... atleast we cast our vote is just a reason for not being a responsible citizen.. when u dont know to whom ur votin and cast ur vote.. u might end up choosing the wrong person ... every vote counts.. so .. its important we do our duty properly.. and vote only for the right candidate..

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Blog Archive

Followers